Friday, November 27, 2015

Social Media Free, Day Two

Day two of trying to be social media free started off pretty well. The need to constantly check my three sites wasn't as strong today as it was on day one. I guess not posting anything kinda helps with that. Also, after about a day, any previous post would lose steam, so there would be less of a need to check to see how many "like" or "+1's" my "going away post" got.

I did some Black Friday shopping this morning online. I wonder if that is closer to doing a Cyber Monday on Black Friday since I didn't exactly go to a store? I don't know. I guess it really is all the same. I tried to stay away from shopping at Amazon because I'm having personal issues with their business practices, but I couldn't find anything I liked on ThinkGeek or the HBO Store, and some of the tech deals on Amazon were just too good to pass up. As of 11:30 pm PT, I have resisted buying a Nexus 9 from the Google Store. The 16-gig version is going for $199 while the 32-gig version is going for $279 on Black Friday. Those are amazing deals, however, I already have a tablet, and my personal tech purchase of the year is my handy dandy Dell laptop. I don't think I could justify another tech purchase.

I was semi-planning on seeing Creed today, but I ended up grabbing lunch with a work friend instead, followed by some Jessica Jones afterwards. It was fun hanging out with my work friend outside of work. We don't normally get a chance to grab lunch together as typically I have to cover for her when she goes to lunch, so this was a fun experience to hangout outside the work environment.

I'm still planning on checking out Creed this weekend. I have heard nothing but great reviews about it. I also want to check out Victor Frankenstein, but I have the distinct feeling that I just won't have the time to see all of the movies that I want to see. Oh well, it's not exactly the end of the world if I miss a couple of movies here or there. The one movie I can't miss is Star Wars: The Force Awakens. I mean, after being brought near to tears at Comic-Con, I would lose all geek cred if I missed this movie on opening weekend.

Now, full disclosure time on the social media: towards the end of the day, I did log on to both Facebook and Google Plus briefly. Here are my justifications. I logged onto Facebook when I got a friend request from one of my G+ friends. Since my Facebook posts are mostly private, my friend probably didn't see that I was on a social media break, and I didn't want to appear rude. With Google Plus, one of my friends had invited me to her TV Spoiler Community. Again, I didn't want to appear rude by not accepting, so I popped in quickly to accept the invitation. I didn't check my newsfeed at all. With Facebook, I saw my sister's new profile pic of her kids. I had to quickly close the browser because I knew that I would get sucked back into that whole Facebook world, and it is only day two. Hmmm. I'm already making a lot of allowances here. I really have to break this habit.

Other than those two quick moments of weakness, I think I've done well today. The next couple of days will be harder (#twss?). Saturday is a big college football day, and with the UCLA-USC football game being for the Pac-12 South title, everyone will be out representing on social media tomorrow. The big test will be on Monday. Going on the social media sites and sharing articles is normally a great way to pass the day during work when there is some downtime. I guess there is some actually work things I can do this week. Social media has become a big part of my work time routine. I need to create new habits during the work day.

Well, that's it for now. I still can't believe that I'm attempting to blog this. It's even harder (#twss?) to believe that I have this much to write. I don't exactly lead an exciting life as the words above can attest. I guess social media does tend to stifle some creativity, if blogging about your day can be considered creative. lol. Anywho, I don't know how long I can keep up this blogging experience, but it's something for me to think about for now. I'll see y'all next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment